Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Simple Yet Highly-Effective Homeopathic Remedy For Canine Discoid Lupus

This past summer 2007, I noticed a change in the coloration of my dog’s nose. I did not think much about as it did not seem that unusual. The black skin of his nose had begun to lighten just slightly to a more pinkish tone. It was the early part of summer and the sun had just begun to come out with some veracity. I had suspected that it was simply due to sun exposure. What I would come to learn over the next few months is that my dog had a rare form of lupus known as Canine Discoid Lupus, and that there was a little known, and very simple remedy for it.

As the days of summer wore on, the discoloration continued to develop. At first it was just a few lighter spots on his nose, but as they became larger, the skin texture of his nose now also began to change. His nose began to seem dry, and the light spots became a bit crusty (for lack of a better term). At this point, my wife and I become concerned and took him to our veterinarian.

I think the response we got from our vet was pretty common. He stated that there were several possible diagnosis for what Kain (our dog) was experiencing. The diagnosis ran the full gambit from simple sun exposure, all the way to a form of cancer that would give him approximately 10 months to live. This was all quite concerning, and my wife and I were not content with letting it go any further. However, in order to give us a definite answer, our vet wanted to do a biopsy of Kain’s nose. This was not just a scrape of a few cells we are talking about; he wanted to dig out a rather large chunk of our dog’s nose flesh for some tests. We were just not willing to do that at this point.

We decided to try and eliminate a couple of simple possibilities as the cause. We began regular applications of sun screen, as well as a common over-the-counter anti-fungal cream to make sure it was not just a sun burn or fungus. We were determined to find another way to determine what was going on with our dog’s nose rather than a biopsy.

I spent great deal of time over the next couple weeks doing research on google, and found a huge assortment of information, but nothing definitive. What I was able to find of absolute value was that there were quite a few other dog owners going through the same experience out of concern for their loved pets. I was determined to find a solution that did not involve a biopsy.

After much extensive research, I turned to the same alternative medicine that my family often relies on for our own health, homeopathy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy). We have found that alternative medicine has worked very well for our dog in the past, and I found quite a bit of information on google to support the use of homeopathy with canines.

By now, the skin on our dog’s nose had changed more dramatically, and was actually somewhat scabbed over, with small cracks forming along the nasal openings. I could tell that his nose was bothering him. The applications of sun screen and anti fungal had seemed to have no affect whatsoever thus far, and we were very frustrated.

After a few more days of digging, and the symptoms we continued to see with Kain, I was convinced he had what is known as Canine Discoid Lupus. At this point, we decided to begin administering some homeopathic solutions.

Here is the homeopathic remedy we finally came up with that has worked wonders:

Calendula Cream
Helps to heal the cracked, irritated skin.
Apply to affected area twice daily. Try to rub it in as much as possible since you cannot stop them from licking it off.

Sulfur 30X
2 tablets twice a day for the 1st week.

Arum-MET 30X
2 tablets 4 times a day for the 2nd week, then cut dosage in half for 3rd week, then in half again for the 4th and 5th week.

If it is not better at the end of 5-6 weeks, your dog may not have lupus. Be sure to consult with your veterinarian before trying any remedies.


Within about 2 weeks, Kain’s nose was beginning to look better with the cracks healing and some of the scabbing softening. At week 4, his nose was much better, all cracks healed, and some of the dark pigment returning to his nose. After 8 weeks, his nose was completely healed, with no sign of any problems. All these positive results were achieved with no painful biopsy and no unnecessary side effects. One of the greatest things is that there is absolutely no harm in trying a homeopathic remedy.

I hope that this information will help other dogs and dog owners who may not have the means of finding the information that I did. All the homeopathy products outlined above can be found at most health food stores, or upper-end grocery stores.

You can find more information on Canine Discoid Lupus at http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/delupusdisc.html. Be aware that the mainstream treatment for this disease is the application of steroids, which can have some very severe side-effect for your dog. Again, be sure to consult your veterinarian before administering any remedies.

22 comments:

diane said...

Hi Jon,

I am having a similar experience with my dog, you have described her symptoms exactly. The vet suspects discoid lupus and prescribed a topical steroid which did very little. Now he wants to biopsy her nose, which I do not want to do. I have a question on the strength of the aurum met. Is it 30x or 30c, as I have been unable to find the 30x. Additionally, did you only use the sulfur for one week? After the 5th week of the regimen what are you doing for maintenance (assuming it improves)? Thank you for your post and time.

Unknown said...

Hi Jon-
Thank you for posting this information. We too are having a similar issue with our dog, and will be trying your recommendation this week--before we go the biopsy route. Any further updates on your dog's situation would be much appreciated!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to thank you for your information. My beagle/shep mix was diagnosed with DLE about 2 years ago. this spring has been particularly bad for her. We really hate the side effects that come with the standard treatments and the Vitamin E and Niacinamide were not enough. We started her on your recommended meds and within just a few days there was a HUGE improvement in her scabs. Thanks you SOOOOOOO much. I would love an update on you pooches treatment.

Tickety Boo said...

Our little Jack Russell also gets sores on her nose and inflammation around her eyes every summer, for which we eventually have to put her on prednisone and apply cortisone ointment for her eyes. If there's a way to prevent it ... great! Has anyone else had success with this? I can't understand how homeopathy works and so many sceptics say that it doesn't!

Michael and Marlene said...

Hello - What an amazing, mind-boggling coincidence! I developed a Lupus Support Kit exactly like this 6 years ago in our business called The Natural Canine. It is truly a profound coincidence that you came up with the exact remedies and potencies - and only 6 years after I did. Wow! Talk about synchronicity. What's more, you don't have a certificate in veterinary homeopathy - I am amazed. We even found you in our UPS database!

joannapeelie said...

Im alittle confused how long you gave your dog the sulphur, did you stop after a week? Also does it make a difference the weight of your dog? Thanks

Tickety Boo said...

We began giving our little Jack Russell DHEA this summer - it's sometimes effective for human lupus, so I thought I'd give it a try. My research has shown it has no harmful effects on dogs - in fact may cause them to live longer. We started out with 25 mg every couple of days, ended up at 75 mg per day. We still put some BNPH ointment in her eyes every few days in August, but the sores on her snout cleared up very quickly and the eye inflammation was significantly less. We'll reduce her dosage now that the summer's over and probably go up to 100 mg/day for next summer. Hope this helps someone else.

Ruth

Tickety Boo said...

p.s. I should've said - according to the research I've been able to access on-line, DHEA has no harmful effects on dogs.

Lia Bello said...

I am a homeopathic family nurse practitioner and one of my clients is following your recommendations. But when I checked into it the homeopathic remedy Aurum. Met. (made from gold) is not meant for those symptoms-- but the remedy Arum Mac. (made from a plant) is the correct one. I think that this typo could cause some problems. There is no such thing as Arum MET. Only Aurum Met. Do you want to clarify?

Unknown said...

Hi Jon,
After the treatment that you reccomended do you have to repeat it ever?

Vicci said...

Good Morning, Thank you for caring about our dogs! Could you tell me if it is Arum-Met 30x is correct or is it Aurum? Also, how long do you continue treatment? Thanks again, Vicci

Goatsn'Squats said...

Just wanted to chip in here and say that Aurum Met. "is indicated when the nostrils are sore and cracked. There is foetid nasal discharge, often accompanied by caries of the nasal bones. There is ulceration of the soft parts with perforation of the nasal septum." - http://www.vithoulkas.com/content/view/875/lang,en/

Sounds like the original poster had it misspelled, but right. I plan on trying that part of the remedy out... I've successfully treated one case of Collie Nose with sulfur alone and am preparing to treat another. For those who are wondering, yes you only treat with sulfur for a week AT MOST. 3-4 days worked fine for me.

gbx2010 said...

My German Shepherd has Discoid Lupus along with the dry crack on his left nostril. I have tried this remedy and it did not do squat. What did work was Natural Dog Snout Soother.

Sheila said...

I had same experience with my dog who is a 5 y.o. Anatolian shepherd mix male. I did have a biopsy of his nose done and it was no big deal at all and at least i got a definite dx of discoid lupus. I, too, have researched on google and found the homeopathic remedies which I plan to try and am very excited to hear that it worked for your dog. I also read about trying vitamin e and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids by mouth but i do not know what doses to give. Do you have any idea about this or where I could fond out? My vet told me the only tx is to keep him out of the sun and actually told me that corticosteroids are CONTRAINDICATED either in topical or oral form. I also plan to try the sunscreen but zinc oxide cannot be used on dogs- it is toxic to them!! Glad i found your blog

Brian said...

Hey Shelia, nice to see a real post here. The owner of the blog must be long gone? I too have a dog, 10 yr old springer, with suspected discoid lupus. We have used prednisone, which helped, but it accelerated her cataracts to the point where she is partly blind. Too bad the vet didn't check her eyes first. Then we tried a combo of tetracycline & niacinimide. That too was a disaster. It has a rare side effect ( 7% in humans ) of causing a retinal problem leading to blindness. The dog was about 80% blind. Thank god it was only temporary. With out a course of action I decided not to have a biopsy and started searching the internet.I ended up here. I've tried the remedy here and it did help. For our dog we have turned to using vitamin e on her nose. At first we used capsules,as advised by the vet, poke a hole & squirt it on, but we found a much better product. We got vitamin e from the nutrition store which is about 400 times more potent, almost like glue. It is expensive but well worth the money. Once a day directly on the nose. The dog will like it off but won't get it all. If you get it on your hands it takes two or three washings to get it off. It's not a cure but it sure makes her nose moister, less bleeding and I'm sure more comfortable.

Ildikó said...

I also try to cure my dog's nose with Sulphur and celendula cream.

Anonymous said...

Our black mouth cur developed canine discoid lupus at age four. It started as a lump on her nose which turned into what looked like ulcers all over her nose. Her gums became red and swollen. Our vet prescribed prednisone, but we did not want to continue with this drug indefinitely. I tried all kinds of herbs and homeopathic remedies. None of them helped. Then I read an article on an alternative treatment for autoimmune diseases in humans. Based on this article, our vet (who combines traditional and holistic practices) developed this formula for our dog who weighs 48 pounds: We have the following medication made for her at our compounding pharmacy: C-Naltrexone 1MG / 0.5ML/ Give 0.5ML by mouth at bedtime. Very important, we mix 1/2 a capsule of Alpha Lipoic Acid with the medicine, putting both into a small amount of cottage cheese. This snack is the last thing she does before we put her into her crate at night. The medication works while she sleeps. Her symptoms have almost disappeared! She has been on this formula for about 10 months, but the improvement happened very quickly. Her diet is an important part of this story. She is on the Bones and Raw Food diet. Any treats we give her are high protein. No grains for her. Here is the link to the article on this treatment for humans:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mer..._b_509655.html

Bob Sherman said...

Our dog Nemo has discoid lupus. We simply rub some Hot Spot on his affected skin once a week and he has been sore/scab free for 3+ years. No need to go to the lengths suggested here. Why would you want to give your dog this many pills? Several other dog owners have used Hot Spot with the same success. Nemo's story and treatment can be seen at http://freckledpaws.com/canine-discoid-lupus-a-simple-effective-treatment/

Unknown said...

I have tried Freckled paws hot spot for our precious 4 yr. Old German Shepherd and have had no success, but it worked great on my clients hot spots (I'm a dog trainer) will definitely try the remedies above. Praying to find somthing that works!!!

Unknown said...

I have had lupus (SLE) for about 5 years and when i first started seeing the symptoms i thought is was just a minor rash and weeks pass and i went to my doctor to see whats the problem and he did some checking and i he informed me that i diagnosed with LUPUS DISEASE. and told me that this condition can't be cured, and hearing that it cant be cured made me reckless well, i went on-line searching for remedy to cure and to make this Lupus go away because it was so embarrassing, i found some testimony online about (GENERAL HERBAL HEALTH CENTER) and i had no other option to than to try their drug because if i don't it means i will have to remain like this, i gave them a try because there is no harm in trying, i contacted their email address : generalhealthcenter1@gmail.com, i also visited their website: http://generalhealthherbalcentar.simplesite.com then i did everything they said i should do, i purchased the 100% herbal medication and it was shipped to my door step in 3 days and i started using the herbal medicine and i started seeing good result in 3 weeks of usage and i kept using it and i thank Almighty God that my giving a test to their herbal MEDICINE brought the healing i have been searching for in 5 years.... thank God and i will also want you to try this herbal product out....

contact them today via email address ::generalhealthcenter1@gmail.com, you can also visit their website: http://generalhealthherbalcentar.simplesite.com or call +27642503488

Unknown said...

I have had lupus (SLE) for about 5 years and when i first started seeing the symptoms i thought is was just a minor rash and weeks pass and i went to my doctor to see whats the problem and he did some checking and i he informed me that i diagnosed with LUPUS DISEASE. and told me that this condition can't be cured, and hearing that it cant be cured made me reckless well, i went on-line searching for remedy to cure and to make this Lupus go away because it was so embarrassing, i found some testimony online about (GENERAL HERBAL HEALTH CENTER) and i had no other option to than to try their drug because if i don't it means i will have to remain like this, i gave them a try because there is no harm in trying, i contacted their email address : generalhealthcenter1@gmail.com, i also visited their website: http://generalhealthherbalcentar.simplesite.com then i did everything they said i should do, i purchased the 100% herbal medication and it was shipped to my door step in 3 days and i started using the herbal medicine and i started seeing good result in 3 weeks of usage and i kept using it and i thank Almighty God that my giving a test to their herbal MEDICINE brought the healing i have been searching for in 5 years.... thank God and i will also want you to try this herbal product out....

contact them today via email address ::generalhealthcenter1@gmail.com, you can also visit their website: http://generalhealthherbalcentar.simplesite.com or call +27642503488

Anonymous said...

It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,psoriasis,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility,Tach Disease ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Autism,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, (measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
Dementia.,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,Lupus,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffring from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal. ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.